As a software engineer and engineering manager, I really need good tools to make my daily work easier. Here is a list of things that I am using. Hope that it’s also useful for others.
* I am a Mac OS user*
IDE / Editor
- Visual Studio Code: not much to say it’s quite popular for now.
- Intellij: also an excellent tool and very strong with code searching & refactoring.
- Sublime Text: an extremely fast and lightweight editor to open any soure code files.
- GitHub Codespace: a cloud-based vscode IDE with 1st-class support by GitHub. With this, you just it a modern browser to work on your projects anytime / anywhere.
Version Control UI (mainly for Git)
- GitKraken: a very good tool which gives you a clear overview of your source tree and provides additional nice features. You will find it helpful if you work frequently with Git (not just "commit & push")
Database GUI Client
- TablePlus (for Postgres): clear, lightweight and easy to use. What else do you expect?
- Intellij Database explorer: if you are using the commercial version of Jetbrains IDEs, you already have a great built-in database explorer inside your IDE. Why do you need another tool?
- Docker: do I need to tell you about it?
- iTerm (with ZSH): a very popular alternative for the default terminal of the OS
- Termius: if you are the one who need to access a lot of remote servers during your working time, this is a should-have tool to manage all of your connections.
- Firefox for Developer: for users who consider much about privacy. So do I.
- Magnet: small but useful tool to quickly layout multiple windows on the same screen
- Boop: a collection of utilities for engineer (e.g. base64 encoder / decoder, JSON formatter ...)
- Bear: a cool note writing tool using MarkDown where you can quickly organize your notes by tags under multi levels.
- GoodNotes: a great tool for brain-storming with a "pencil"